Thursday, March 1, 2007

Solera - Denver Restaurant Week

Well Benjamin has weasled his way back into my life. I don't know how but in a flurry of emails on Friday we were all of a sudden friends again. I left for Steamboat that night and had a wonderful weekend with sweet Kathy and David. The snow was beautiful and it was nice to get away for awhile.

Ben had promised to make reservations for Denver Restaurant Week and waited until the last minute, getting us in at 8:30 on Thursday at Rioja. Rioja is my favorite, I love the food and I love that the chef is a woman. We decided to try for an earlier time on Wednesday and he suggested Solera. It was booked on opentable and I called around noon, leaving a message, to see if they had any cancellations.

My first impression of Solera was in the form of a gracious and kind return call. There was a 7:30 cancellation and he would hold it for us. I called immediately to thank him and he was very polite and welcoming - in a very cool, we're-happy-to-have-you way. That was impressive to me. I'm excited to try new places and when the restaurant staff is excited about new customers, then it makes the experience so much richer.

Since I am obsessive compulsive and obsessive in general about restaurants, I spent a good deal of time looking for reviews and trying to decide what to order from the 5280 menu. I liked that Solera was on Colfax. It wasn't in the trendier areas. For some reason this gave it more cred to me. I like that the chefs name is "Goose" Sorenson. I love that the first contact with the restaurant had been positive. I was completely giddy with excitement and maybe it was something in the air or maybe I should get out more. Ben was excited, which makes it fun too, he even wanted to order foie gras in addition to the special menu.

Ben picked me up and we valeted at the restaurant. Upon entering the matre'd (sp) greeted us graciously and took our jackets. We were shown to our table, a little two top, and given menus, etc. Our waiter was nice, we ordered a glass of chardonnay each. Mine was ok, Ben did not, well, love his, but we had better luck with the reds.

We asked about the foie gras and the waiter was very gracious about it, but they were not serving the regular menu at all. Ben was disappointed, I guess I was too but I can understand why they chose to do it that way.

Ben had the ceasar for the first course and cleaned his plate completely. I had the calamari with peanuts. Now, let me sidetrack for a bit on calamari. I was a big fan when it first started appearing everywhere and most likely that had to do with the love of fried things combined with the fact that it was a fishlike - so the guilt is lessened. It was new and sounded exotic. Then... after a few too many rubbery orders and tasting an actual calamari steak at Jax, I was disenchanted.

However, Solera was serving their calamari thai style with peanuts. Peanuts are love to me so I ordered it. The calamari was wonderful. The sauce was sweet but drizzled lightly enough that it did not feel like you were eating a plate of candy for an app. The calamari itself was very tender. It was, hands down, the best calamari that I have eaten.

We both ordered the flat iron steak and gorgonzola potatoes. Again they were wonderful dishes. I had read a review on the mashed potatoes at Solera and they did not disappoint. Whatever sauce was on the steak was wonderful, my jacket smells like it and I craved it this morning. The leftovers are in Ben's fridge at his house, along with my earrings and my movie and I want them without him.

We ordered the bread pudding. I loved the caramel sauce. Ben thought it had been sitting under the hot lights for awhile but I disagreed. The berries were fresh and cool and my plate didn't seem hot.

So, in a nutshell, I will be returning. Unfortunately with my huge budget I don't think I will be able to justify ordering the foie gras, but maybe if my parents come into town we can try it. I remember my dad's first taste of foie gras and fascination ever since. When you first try it it is amazing. My first was from John Platt at Q's in the Boulderado. Oh. My. God. It tasted a bit like butter but meaty and rich and wow. Chris Douglas at Tula had a wonderful presentation recently where they paired it with toasted bread and something berry-like. It was simple and reminded me of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich but with such more sofistication and taste.

Restaurant week can be a weird time. I understand the draw of it but sometimes it backfires in the form of frenzied staff, smaller portions and food that is not created with love. Solera pulled it off.

After dinner we rented Babel and drove to Ben's. He then, barked, at me to get out of the car at the sidewalk. It went downhill from there. I need therapy. I need yoga. I need to get a clue. He called earlier and just txted me. I haven't responded yet. I am going to get through the next hour without responding. One day at a time, one hour, one minute. It is my own little BA program.

Then when I returned home this morning I found batteries and dirt clumps on the floor. Apparantly my little angels were not happy about the sleepover. The batteries were in a package on the kitchen table, so my bendy darling Rocky must have swiped them. I just cannot figure out the dirt clumps. Maybe they dragged a toy in from outside, who knows. They were huddled together, alternately staring and playing with a ball. My dogs have to play ball with themselves, how pathetic. When I left I was out of their bones so I gave them a do-si-do cookie. My official nomination of bad dog mom of the year should be arriving in the mail anytime now.

No comments: